‘Cyber bullying is any form of bullying which takes place online or through smartphones and tablets. Social media sites, messaging apps, gaming sites and chat rooms can be great fun and a positive experience. But what do you do when things go wrong?’ (Bullying.co.uk)
Almost every young person has experienced cyber bullying, or they know someone who has. It can take many forms, e.g.
- Sending abusive/mean messages
- Sending fake information about someone else
- Impersonating someone else to get them into trouble
- ‘Flaming’, causing online arguments
- ‘Outing’, revealing private information about someone
- Stalking, sending repeated messages to someone
- Excluding someone from groups and conversations
This activity encourages pupils to think about how they can use technology more positively, to think about how they can encourage and build up others by the words they use.